Monday 13 June 2011

Geekdom

The following is a list of all the little geeky things we've talked about including in our wedding:

- Harry Potter: invitations - Originally we talked about making our entire invitations replicas of Harry's invitation to Hogwarts, down to the presentation and wording. However, I know that my parents would prefer us to have traditional invitations, and I wanted to put magnets on the back so people can put them on the fridge, which you can really do with a folded parchment letter. So then I had the idea of just doing up Hogwarts envelopes to put our invites into (as described in my previous post).

- Star Wars: Imperial March - This was actually my idea; I've been considering it since well before we got engaged. I think it's awesome when couples have fun with the song or music that they choose to walk into their reception to. The Imperial March I think is hilarious; it's geeky and completely "inappropriate". I'm sure it's been done before, but not at any wedding I've seen.

- World of Warcraft: table names - Alan has been playing WoW for six years, and I started playing just after Christmas. We both spend at the very least a couple of hours a week running, flying and questing around the lands of Azeroth, so we thought it would be awesome to name our tables after some of the cities of this fantasy world, rather than just having boring table numbers. The shortlist of cities we've chosen are: Silvermoon, Orgrimmar, Darnassus, Lordaeron, Gilneas, Thunder Bluff, Ironforge and Exodar.

- Lord of the Rings: cake topper - We both love LOTR (me the movies, Alan the movies and books), and we thought it would be nice if we could find an Aragorn and Arwen cake topper that wasn't too tacky. We found a beautiful porcelain limited edition statue showing Arwen giving Aragorn her Evenstar pendant, but the cheapest price we saw it for was a couple of hundred Euro, so we may not be able to do this one. Failing that, we totally love this cake topper, however despite its appropriateness I don't know how Mum would feel about it! Hehe.

- Earth Angel: first dance - I commented to Alan the other night that we don't actually have "a song" that has any special meaning for us, especially not one that can be used for a first dance. We were in the car at the time, and just a few minutes later Earth Angel came on via Alan's playlist on his iPhone. "We could use this," one of us suggested, then we realised that it would tie into our geek theme beautifully, as it is the song that plays in Back to the Future when Marty's parents share that all-important kiss at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance.

While talking about this song, we then drifted off into the concept of having a card at each table place that asks the guest if they can answer a question about each of the geeky things included in our reception, and to have a guess even if they don't know the answers, because it'll be funny for us. :D We want to keep them as mementos, so we'll put a space down the bottom where people can write a message for us too if they want.

Anyway, that's our ideas so far, and to be honest I can't see us including much more as we don't want to go nuts with this sort of thing. Well, Alan does I think, but I don't, lol.

3 comments:

  1. As previously stated this stuff is to remain hush-hush between anyone other than you guys and us. I'm not telling anyone else about my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okey, I will keep thine mouth shut. :)

    Also, I think you shouldn't worry so much about what your Ma and Pa think of the invites, at the end of the day it is your wedding and I think they'd want you to have it how you want it.

    Anyway, it is all very exciting and I think that rather than stopping at the music and table-names, we should all dress up!! It could be lord of the rings-y and you could be arwen and j, g, r and myself could be red elves... :P It'd be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. Al would like to have a medieval or LOTR or Star Wars wedding, and it would be fun. But unfortunately I'm a bit of a boring traditionalist when it comes to bridal party attire. ;)

    The invites are also a lot of work in the Harry Potter letter style, so I was shying away from that a bit too. They might be cheaper to make however, as all you'd need is cream parchment and a printer that doesn't chew it up. But really, how many people would get it and/or appreciate it, do you think? I really don't know TBH. And part of me does think it's better suited for a party than a wedding. Bit tacky for a wedding..

    ReplyDelete